Register and Change Personal Information

Registration with ATLAS / CERN

There are 2 forms which you will need to complete and submit; however one of them must be done in-person when you next visit CERN. The forms to complete are:

  • CERN registration (you will submit this when at CERN),
  • ATLAS registration:
    • Indicate that you are also applying for an ATLAS Virtual Organization Membership;
    • You can leave your CERN indentification number, Contact person at CERN, CERN office and phone number fields blank unless you are already a CERN user;
    • Do also submit a photocopy of your passport with this form.
Complete the ATLAS registration form and email ( or fax (+ 41 22 767 8350). Also, in the same mail, request a regular CERN computer account.

This will register you as an "External user"; when you submit the CERN registration at a later date, you will become a "CERN user". The secretariat will respond in about 2 days with an account (allowing access to lxplus, AIS, email, etc). When you get your computer account, you will also receive a web link to "Security Training and Computing Rules" which you will have to complete within 3 days to keep your account activated.

Additional Information if you are a summer/undergrad student and only need temporary access

- Only complete the ATLAS Registration form above.
- if you don't have a passport, driver's licence plus birth certificate and a short explanation worked for one of our students two summers ago.
- you can leave the subdetector or domain of activity section blank and just check "Physics Analysis"
- your profession is "Summer Student" (check box)
- VERY IMPORTANT - you are a student (circle yes)
- VERY IMPORTANT - you are NOT working towards qualification as an ATLAS author
The accompanying e-mail to the ATLAS Secretariat should clearly say that you want a regular lxplus account, specifying your preferred username, and should explain that you are doing something similar to a Summer Student project, with a fixed duration.

Changing Personal Information

The first thing you should do is to change your password on You can do this with the kpasswd command.

When you get your CERN account, you should also be in the address book xwho; to see this, search in the link for your name.

If you need to change something listed on the xwho page, you should first consult the CRA page -- login at Administrative Information Services; click on Foundation, CRA folder, followed by "My Details". Note that the settings link on the left frame lets you change your password for the Administrative Information Services page. Some information cannot be changed from the CRA page. If you are trying to change a phone number, for example, you are required to contact the Atlas Secretariat. Take a look at the xwho consult page for information on where you must go to correct certain details.

Note that some changes take overnight to propagate; if you change some configuration in your CERN accounts and do not see it implemented immediately, you may want to wait until the next day to see if it is resolved before contacting the IT department.

Mail Forwarding

You will have an account "" when your CERN computer account is created. If you want to foward this to your home institution, you can change this at MMM Service.

-- AsokaDeSilva - 28 Sep 2007

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r8 < r7 < r6 < r5 < r4 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r8 - 2012-03-30 - AsokaDeSilva
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback